• Type: symbolic, descriptive, portmanteau, acronym
• Tagline: is your name descriptive enough to stand alone?
• Vertical: color, grayscale, 1-color, black, reversed
• Horizontal: color, grayscale, 1-color, black, reversed
• File Formats: .eps, .png, .svg, .jpg, .tif
• Type: text-only, text+symbol
• Sub-brands or product lines: extension of primary logo? different logo?
• Case: all caps, title caps, lowercase
• Define CMYK, HEX, and RGB values
• Primary: limit to 3-5 colors max
• Secondary palette: additional supporting colors/highlights?
• Contrast: one light and one dark color, one bright and one dull color
• Feel: cool, warm, bright, pastels, regional, related to name,
• Scope: limit to 2 fonts max, either very similar or very opposite styles
• Look and feel: modern, old fashioned, regional/cultural, handwriting
• Applications: can it cover both print and digital?
• Style guide: define size and case to use in titles, headers, sub-headers, body text, captions, pullquotes, lists
• Type: photography, illustration, text-only
• Source: self-made, stock, custom
• Style: portraits, candid, details, surroundings; build a library of wide angles and close-up details for contrast
• Source: self-written, in-house, hire copywriter
• Style: consider making a style guide to define voice; casual, formal, fun, weird, technical
• This acts as a manual to ensure consistency across the brand. It can be as simple as a one-page document designating color and fonts to an intricate book defining everything from minimum space around the logo to whether or not to add a space before and after an em dash.
Printed business collateral is becoming less and less common every day, but if you have a product business you are almost sure to need packaging and some supporting materials. Consider investing in template design. It will cost more up front, but if there are many iterations of a piece it will save on costs every time.
• Printing: standard size, custom size, matte finish, gloss finish, matte+gloss finish
• Content: which forms of communication are you comfortable with? email, work phone, cell phone, address, website, Skype; include logo; include QR code to vCard or website?
• Container type: based on content; box, bag, bottle
• Material: based on content; glass, metal, paper, plastic
• Opacity: opaque, translucent, clear; if not opaque, the inside content of the package becomes an element of the design
• Finish: glossy, matte, soft touch or special
• Design: print directly on container, add label(s)
• Label substrate: white paper, craft paper, white plastic, clear plastic, metallic plastic
• Printing: number of colors, special effects like foil stamp, embossing
• Printing: type of paper, thickness of paper, quantity, number of colors, special effects like foil stamp, embossing
• Ease of use: can anything be converted to digital to enhance customer experience?
Make sure you carry over everything from your essentials (fonts, colors, etc.) to these applications.
• Type: “brochure”/basic website, e-commerce site, web-based service site
• At minimum include sections for your story, product or service information, contact info
• Content Management System: DIY web service, buy hosting and install WordPress, Drupal, etc.
• Maintenance: self-update, hire someone to update
• Compatibility: responsive design for computer, tablet, phone
• Advanced features: primary animations, secondary element animations, web-based client/customer tools (forms, accounts, etc.)
• Viewing environment: dark background, light background
• Template: title slide, text slide, image slide, mixed content slide
• Applications: profile image, header image, posts; consider creating templates for posts with design or a guide to style of imagery to remain consistent
• Accounts: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, etc.
• Accounts (physical location): FourSquare, Yelp, Google Maps
• Username: try to secure the same username across all platforms; may have to consider something other than simply your business name if one is taken
favorite dashboard brightness_medium color_lens font_download reorder apps line_style